*We are no longer accepting applications for grant funding to the 2021 Virtual Summer Research Laboratory. We will announce our Call for Applications to the 2022 Summer Research Laboratory in late Fall 2021.*
This year’s Summer Research Laboratory (SRL) is made possible by generous support from the US Department of State, through its Program for Research and Training on Eastern Europe and the Independent States of the Former Soviet Union (Title VIII).
Due to a change in funding for SRL, we have revised our grant guidelines and eligibility requirements. Before submitting an application, please read the grant information below carefully.
The application deadline for this year’s Summer Research Lab is March 3, 2021. REEEC will continue to accept applications after the deadline, but consideration for funding will not be guaranteed.
Grant Application Criteria and Instructions:
*Title VIII Research Award (US Citizenship Required):
SRL applicants who are US citizens are eligible to apply for a Title VIII research award of $1000. A Statement of Policy Relevance (an abstract of your proposal that draws a connection between your research and some aspect of U.S. foreign policy issues, strategies, emphases, or concerns. Length: up to 500 words) is required and must be submitted with the online application. Failure to provide this statement could compromise your ability to receive Title VIII funding.
Research Eligibility Criteria for Title VIII Research Award:
All applicants must meet one of the following criteria in addition to US citizenship:
- Faculty or graduate students at a university or college.
- Individuals with a PhD doing research on the region.
- Credentialed independent scholars.
- Individuals working in an area of government, NGO, or business related to the region.
- Librarians specializing in the Slavic, East European, and Eurasian field.
In addition to the above, please read the following carefully:
US citizen scholars conducting policy relevant research on the countries of Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan are eligible to apply for a Title VIII Research Award. Proposals regarding Kosovo are also eligible for funding this summer.
At this time, we do not have funding available for international applicants.
Other Funding Opportunities
Fisher Fellow Award (Click here for more details):
- Graduate Student at dissertation stage or post-doctorate scholar (<5 years following PhD).
- Available to attend SRL during Sumer 2021.
- Current faculty or instructors at community colleges or minority-serving institutions
- Virtual program that will run May 17 - July 30, 2021.