The following websites provide information on summer study abroad language programs.
- American Councils for International Education (ACTR / ACCELS)
- American Councils Research Abroad
- University of Minnesota Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition (CARLA): also has information on domestic summer language programs
Multiple Language-Offering Programs:
- American Councils Study Abroad Programs: (Features study abroad) Albanian, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Bashkir, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian, Bulgarian, Buryat, Chechen, Dari, Farsi, Georgian, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Macedonian, Montenegrin, Romanian, Russian, Tatar, Turkish, Ukrainian, Uzbek, and Yakut.
- Aspirantum - Armenian School of Languages and Cultures: (Study abroad only) Armenian, Persian, Russian, Georgian, Arabic, Turkish, and Kurmanji.
- Central Eurasian Studies Summer Institute (CESSI): Azerbaijani, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Tajik, Uyghur, & Uzbek
- Critical Languages Institute: Arizona State University: Albanian, Armenian, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian (BCS), Hebrew, Indonesian, Kazakh, Macedonian, Persian, Polish, Russian, Tatar, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Uzbek.
- The School of Russian and Asian Studies (SRAS): (Features study abroad) Russian, Ukrainian
- Summer Institute for Languages of the Muslim World: (Hosted by UIUC) Persian, Turkish.
- Summer Language Institute: University of Pittsburgh: (Features study abroad) BCS, Bulgarian, Czech, Hungarian, Polish, Russian, Slovak, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Summer Language Workshop: Indiana University-Bloomington: (Features study abroad) Azerbaijani, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian, Chuvash, Estonian, Finnish, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Mongolian, Persian, Polish, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Uzbek.
- CIEE: Russian
- Harvard Summer Program in Tbilisi, Georgia: (Study abroad only) Russian
- Middlebury Summer Language School: Russian
- Summer Intensive Language Studies: Beloit College. Limited to Russian, Chinese, and Japanese.
- University California Los Angeles: Russian
- Harvard Ukrainian Research Institute: Ukrainian
- Ukrainian Catholic University - School of Ukrainian Language: (Study abroad and virtual options) Ukrainian
- University of Kansas - Language Institute in L'viv: (Study Abroad Only) Ukrainian
Special Information for FLAS students
If you are planning to apply to an overseas summer language program, please consult with the REEEC FLAS Coordinator to ensure that you are applying to an appropriate program. All overseas programs must be approved by the U.S. Department of Education before the FLAS award is finalized. The following criteria are used by USDE in approving programs:
- Students wishing to study overseas must be at the intermediate or advanced level of language proficiency, unless the language is not available in the United States.
- Programs must have a minimum of six-weeks of language instruction (there are NO exceptions).
- Programs at the beginning and intermediate level must have a minimum of 140 hours of instruction.
- Programs at the advanced level must have a minimum 120 hours of instruction.
- Programs must provide the equivalent of a full year of academic language study.
Please keep in mind that the FLAS tuition and fee award is only $4,000; approximately $500 in UIUC fees must also be covered. This portion of the award cannot cover any room, board, travel, or miscellaneous expenses. If your program tuition and fees will be more than the award amount, you must have other sources of funding to supplement the FLAS award. This source cannot be personal funds.