Due to a change in funding for SRL, we have revised our grant guidelines and eligibility requirements. Before submitting an application, please read the grant information below carefully.
Housing and Travel Grants, and Research Stipends:
SRL applicants who are U.S. citizens are eligible for Title VIII grants.
- Housing grants of up to 12 days of paid housing at Presby Hall for a shared three-four bedroom suite.
- Travel grants of up to $500 to participate in the SRL. Eligible expenses are restricted to travel to and from Champaign-Urbana. Award recipients must provide appropriate receipts to receive reimbursement.
- Generous research stipends of up to $1000.
Individuals desiring a single suite are responsible for the additional fees. Grantees are welcome to stay longer than the award period at their own expense.
A limited amount of funding may be available for international applicants.
Faculty and graduate students who are citizens of Afghanistan, Albania, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Burma/Myanmar, Cambodia, Egypt, Ethiopia, Haiti, Kosovo, Laos, Macedonia, Moldova, Mongolia, Nepal, Palestine, Serbia, Tajikistan, Tunisia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Turkmenistan, or Uzbekistan may consider applying to the Open Society Foundation’s Civil Society Scholar Awards to secure additional funding.
Grant Application Criteria and Instructions:
The application deadline for this year’s Summer Research Lab will be February 11, 2019. REEEC will continue to accept applications after the deadline, but housing and travel funds will not be guaranteed.
All applicants must meet one of the following criteria:
- Faculty or graduate students at a university or college.
- Individuals with a PhD doing research on the region.
- Credentialed independent scholars.
- Individuals working in an area of government, NGO, or business related to the region.
- Librarians specializing in the Slavic, East European, and Eurasian field.
In addition to the above, please read the following carefully:
RESEARCH ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Scholars conducting policy relevant research on the countries of Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan are eligible to apply. Proposals regarding Kosovo are also eligible for funding this summer.
Fisher Fellow Award (Click here for more details):
- Graduate Student at dissertation stage or post-doctorate scholar (<5 years following PhD).
- Available to attend SRL during June 2019.
International Studies Research Lab (More information coming soon):
- Current faculty or instructors at community colleges or minority-serving institutions
- Available to attend SRL during July 2019